During my autonomous challenge I had to formulate a design question myself. This design question "How do I make sure that visitors are less likely to walk the wrong way so that experience during a day out improved", was based on an experience during a day at the zoo. My task in this project is to come up with a solution and optimize the experience.

Belangrijkste inzichten.jpg
Belangrijkste inzichten2.jpg


I started doing research, my focus here was on how signposting is applied in public spaces like Schiphol. To learn more about this I contacted Mijksenaar. Their way of thinking could help me to come up with a solution, namely getting lost during a day out. I researched existing solutions, competitors and causes of stress. 


Besides desk research, I held interviews with my target group: families with young children, staff and experts. From the research other results came out than I expected.  For example, I found out that young families do a lot to prepare for a day out. I also found out that they have more trouble with the long wait than with getting lost in the park. Mijksenaar's white papers also showed that it is a unique opportunity to start the experience at home or in the queue. I visualized the results with a persona and insight tables. 


All these results meant that I had no other choice than to apply a 'kill your darling'. 


Based on research I had a number of iterations on my design question. After my research I thought I had a final design question, but this wasn't the case. Together with my co-student I made a mind map, the results from this mind map made me decide that I had to do new research to confirm that results. The new research gave confirmation and i formulated the final design question: How can I enthuse young families in the preparation for a day out.

"How can I enthuse families with young children in the preparation for a day out."



Based on the interviews and desk research I had the opportunity to make a customer journey of the current situation during a day out. Step by step I filled in what the action was, the feelings, thoughts and ultimately the opportunities for that moment. This provided me with the insight that my concept was the best way to respond to the waiting in the line or the preparation for the day out. 


Enthusizing the visitor from home.


As I told you, several opportunities came out of the customer journey. There were three directions that aroused my interest. These directions became opportunities to work towards my design solution. These three opportunities were used during creative sessions. In this way I was sure that the ideas that came out of these sessions would be in line with the insights from the research.


Making waiting more fun for the visitor.


Making planning the day easier for the visitor.

Inzichten koppeling.jpg


I wanted a clear diagram showing which ideas came out of the creative sessions, the opportunities and the insights from the research. I linked the insights to the opportunities and the opportunities to the ideas, in this way it became clear which idea matched which opportunity and insight. After a number of brainstorms, three concept directions were created. I made low-fidelity prototypes of these concepts, storyboards, which I could use to test the concepts.


I formulated design criteria based on the insights from the research. Ultimately, the concept has to fulfil these design criteria so that I can be sure that it fits the user. To find that out, a concept test was done, I tested the three concepts with different respondents. The results of the test allowed me to choose a concept direction and then concretize it. 

"Early Bird, a personal ticket that gives you access to a video of the park you are going to, and then leads to an app that enthuses you beforehand with facts, videos and atmospheric images." 

Middel 2.png
Middel 4.png
Middel 5.png


Before I could start sketching the app I made a flowchart. With the

flowchart I knew how many screens I needed to complete the app.


I wanted a logo that made clear what the concept is all about. It's mainly about the ticket that gives access to atmospheric images and facts before you go to the park. Early Bird is on its own a meaning, buying tickets at an early stage, that's what the name of the concept is based on. The visualization of the ticket shows the access ticket to the app with the atmospheric images.

Group 32.png
Group 34.png
Group 35.png
Group 33.png


I started with the design of a mid-fidelity prototype, I did this so after the usability test I could make the prototype high-fidelity. I wanted to use cheerful colors, after all, it have to be a fun experience. I wasn't completely satisfied with the design yet, but i decided to take the usability test first. I could use the results of the test to optimize the high fidelity prototype. It were small adjustments like info buttons. Also turned out that the look could be a bit more cheerful, this confirmed my feeling.

I decided to spar with a co-student about the design, she gave the tip to use contrasting colors. Because of this I made the choice for the design of the high-fidelity prototype. I processed the feedback from the previous usability test and made the prototype clickable. I tested this prototype again, processed the feedback and finished the prototype.


The final prototype of the app can be watched here. I will show you how to navigate through the app. During the process I was not able to design an access ticket due to time constraints, I incorporated this in the recommendations.